Tuesday, June 21, 2011

My homebread recipe - without a bread machine

I have read many recipes online and in books and I have compiled what I think is the best recipe.  Although, I do not eat it anymore because there is milk and butter in it my husband still happily eats it.  As well as my boxer who ate half the loaf last night when I turned my back.  Ugh - that little rascal.

This is what you will need. 
1/4 cup of milk
.5 tablespoons of sugar
1.5 tablespoons of butter or a little less you do not like butter
2 tablespoons flax meal (optional) 
1 tablespoon of sesame seeds (optional for topping)
A Pinch of salt
1 package of Dry active yeast or about a tablespoon of it from can jar.
3 cups of flour.  Plus more for the counter.

1)  Mix the yeast and water together according to the package directions.

2) Add the butter (melted), sugar and milk.  Stir until you reach an equal consistency. 

3) Add the rest of the ingrediants.  Add the flour slowing, about 1 cup at a time and make sure there are no bubbles. 

4)  Knead for 20 min.  Put a towel over it and let rise for 45 min.

5) After rising for 45 min, knead again for 30 min.  Let it rise once more for another 45 min.

6) Set the oven at 400 and cook for 30-40 min, checking it near the end to make sure it doesnt over cook.

7) Immediately put it on a cooling rack, and slice when ready to eat!  It slices better when cool.   

You can really have a lot of fun with this.  It really isn't a recipe but rather guidelines cause you can add whatever you want!  Have fun.


No comments:

Post a Comment