Wednesday, June 22, 2011

First time making my own laundry soap.

In the recent years I have noticed more discussion than usual about making your own laundry soap.  In the spirit of saving money I decided to give a whirl!  Guess what..its pretty darn simple!  I can not talk credit for this recipe though, I would have no idea to where to start.  I got it from one of my favorite bloggers.  Go here....http://www.thesimpledollar.com/2007/03/15/how-to-make-your-own-laundry-detergent-and-save-big-money/ to find out the exact instructions.

Here is what I recommend you have.
A large spoon, I actually used a big paint stirrer that a large lumber store gave me
1 5 gallon bucket, or three 1 gallon buckets to make it easier for handling
1 bar of soap, any kind you like
Borax
Washing Soda

The basic idea is to melt a shredded piece of soap, any kind you like and melt it in 3 cups of nearly boiling water.  I used a cheese shredder, but a knife would work just fine as well. 

Then you put 3 gallons of hot water in a 5 gallon bucket, add the soapy water once the soap has melted, 1 cup of washing soda and 1/2 cup of borax.  SO EASY!  Plus, its actually kind of fun, and you can make a new scent every time if you wish.

Again, check out the simple dollar blog for the exact recipe and instructions I used.

Happy Cleaning!


No comments:

Post a Comment